Pages

Visit my original blog, too http://timeforbritain.wordpress.com/

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Personal Statement

Personal Statement...thousands ideas and only 4000 characters (words+spaces+punctuation marks). When I heard about Personal Statement, I thought: "WOW, it is fabulous. You have a marvelous opportunity to present yourself in the best way:)"

Yes... However, it was actually the most tough "essay" I have ever written. You are to stand out from the crowd-present yourself as the best candidate for the course you are applying for.

First of all, try to be ORIGINAL. On the other hand, do not exaggerate! I swear, mentioning dozes of extracurricular activities or competitions, in which you participated, will not help you. You will waste 1000 characters and make an admission tutor die of boredom:) You had better focus on a few distinctive or even remarkable activities/projects/competitions related to your course.

Introduction: It is said to be the most important part of PS. Unfortunately, I disregarded my beginning and "screw it up". I hope you will do your best to perfect this section:) If I were given a chance to improve it, I would write something extremely unusual about the subject I wanted to study. In this paragraph you must make a tutor interested. You have to convince him or her that chosen course is immensely important to you. You can point out why you became fascinated by this subject.

Explication: It is a place where you can present yourself. Everything depends on you-you choose a style, form and key points. I recommend creating at least 3 separate sections

1. Something about your biggest attainment or very important project which inspired you to apply for a course...

2. Something about your Matura /Baccalaureate subjects. Best advice: write what you have learned in your school and how your subjects are related to your course.
3. Something about your interest and free time. I doesn't have to be connected with your course.

Ending: It is also important part of your PS. In this paragraph you shouldn't add any new information. Just highlight that you really long to study or research all aspects of your course:)

Final hint: take care about your Grammar, style and punctuation!



Wholeheartedly recommended websites:


http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134  If you would like your personal statement reviewed in confidence by a team of advisers, post in this forum. Only a team of advisers, yourself and the TSR moderators will be able to view it.


No comments:

Post a Comment